Spend this Hanukkah in Jerusalem and we will give you lots of great ideas to keep your kids entertained.
This year the holiday begins with an incredible parade “March For World Jewry“. You’ve probably heard the buzz about the Macy’s floats coming to Jerusalem which turned into “the parade will be in the spirit of the Macy’s parade.” Either way it’s going to be lots of fun. Sign up as a float holder (each float needs 90 people to hold it) or come as a spectator. December 3 starting at 2pm at Liberty Bell Park to Sultan’s Pool ending with a live Mattisyahu Concert.
Looking for a special Hanukkah activity connected to olives & olive oil? Head over to the Ein Yael Living Museum where they will be open to the public on December 9 & 10. Great hands on workshops – bow & arrow, pita baking, olive press and more.
For adults or kids looking for a fun and challenging activity, the Bloc Climbing Center is the “hub” for rock climbers in Jerusalem.
If you want a way to work off some of your extra sufganiya calories then make sure to sign up for the Janglo Crossroads Night Run. If you would rather be a spectator that’s ok too.
Spend a special evening with your kids at a Hapoel Jerusalem game at the Arena. On December 8th they will be playing against Hapoel Tel Aviv in what is expected to be a great game. During the game there will be some special activities connected to Shalva.
EXPERIENCE THE OLD CITY
Take a Candle Lit Scavenger Hunt through the Old City of Jerusalem on Dec 5 at 5:30pm or book your own private family hunt. Solving missions and finding clues as you walk past the beautiful Hanukkiot being lit in the Jewish Quarter.
Hanukkalayim is a special Hanukkah Festival taking place in the Old City. Starting at Jaffa Gate you will follow paths into the Jewish Quarter meeting costumed actors, hearing live music and listening to stories of the past. This event is FREE and starts at 4pm on December 4, 5, and 6.
NEW ON FUN IN JERUSALEM
Dead Sea Story – have you ever taken a boat out on to the Dead sea to explore the salt formation? Probably not since this is a brand new tour with Noam Bedein an incredible story photographer. There are only a few spots left on his tours so contact Noam to reserve.
Hot Glass Fusing Workshop – At Artesana it’s ok to break glass…in fact it’s encouraged. A fascinating workshop for the whole family. Located in Mevo Horon near Modiin.
Kapon Self Defense Class – an all day self defense course for adults. Learn Krav Maga and other self defense techniques.
NEW Escape Room in Shiloh – The Shiloh Jerusalem Puzzle Quest Presents “The Crisis at the Shiloh Tabernacle” & “The Archeological Robbery” Two fun and interactive “escape rooms” ideal for families, friends, groups and anybody ages 8 and up looking to have a great time. Each room is suitable for 2-8 people.
Hanukkah is not complete without trying out some fo the most creative sufganiya options. What happens when Jerusalem’s most well known baker, Karen Kadosh comes together with Jerusalem’s most well known butcher, Nissim Segev – an incredible Sufganiya Hamburger. Check it out at Segev Hamburgers in Talpiot (4 Yad Harutzim) or order it to be delivered to your home. 02-501-8180.
The Volunteer division of the municipality together with the Olim coordinators & GIFT Israel have created an incredible volunteering program. Over 50 volunteer opportunities in 8 days. Olim Spreading the Light – Sign up to volunteer.
If you are looking for a way to combine the excitement of Hanukkah and chesed at a local nursing home, Torat Reva Yerushalayim, will be running an Intergenerational Dance program on December 4 and a Sing-a-long on December 9.
Join Yad LaKashish for a fun family happening this Hanukkah with art workshops, festive candle lighting and booths with Yad LaKashish products on December 4 at 4pm.
ART & ART WORKSHOPS
Come by and meet the Kol Haot Artist in Residence in Huztot Hayotzer and learn about Scribal arts. Make sure to check out Sofer Moshe Braun’s special Kol Haot project. Black Fire on White Fire interactive workshops will take place on Dec 6 & 10.
Hanukkah is a great time to create some of your own pieces of art. Choose from ceramics at Hadara, painting ceramics at Jclay, designing art by painting wood at the Kakadu Hanukkah Family Festival, or wood working Judaica at The Workshop Gush Etzion.
Want to go to a Mosaic Date Night at the Beer Bazaar? Create a glass mosaic piece in one session with Creative Crafts on December 5th.
If you are looking for some special children’s theater options we have some great ideas.
- “It Happened on the First Candle” at Beit Avi Chai – a play followed by a creative workshop
- Train Theater performances – each day there is a different performance in this small intimate theater. Shows cost between 20-40 NIS. Train Theater Schedule
- Jerusalem Theater – Houdini, Annie, Moscow Circus on Ice, Mayumana and more. Jerusalem Theater Schedule
MUSEUM HANUKKAH EVENTS
- Zedekiah’s Cave – play an Indian Jones style adventure game in a hidden cave under the Old City.
- Tower of David – “Oil Lamp Tour” & “Mystery of the Missing Treasure”
- Bloomfield Science Museum – Games of Fire
- Old Yishuv Court Museum – Stories of the Old City
- Bible Lands Museum – “Mystery of the Hidden Pitcher” Tour & workshop
- Museum for Islamic Art – Children’s shows followed by art workshops
- Biblical Museum of Natural History – daily tours – learn about the animals in the time of the Tanach and in the land of Israel. You may even get to hold a snake.
- Beit Eshkol – Tour Levi Eshkol’s house with augmented reality. Special English tour available on Hanukkah. Reservations required.
FUN FAVORITES – make reservations in advance
Hanukkah is also a great time to enjoy some of our fun favorite activities like…
ADVENTURE ACTIVITIES –
- Desert Jeeping
- ATV in the Jerusalem Hills & ATV in the Gush
- Climbing at the BLOC
- Horse Back Riding at KD Stables
- Laser Tag at Latrun
- Bike Tours in the Ella Valley
- Jerusalem Ropes Course & Paintball
- Montefiore Windmill- Escape Park, Windmill Tours & Wine Tasting
FOOD & CULINARY ACTIVITIES –
WINE TOURS & TASTING –
ART ACTIVITIES –
MORE ACTIVITIES –
- Exotic Animal Experience,
- Kif Tzuba,
- Dig for a Day,
- Zomet Technology & Halacha Tours,
- Tour the Adumim Region