Updated: May 15, 2023
Jerusalem Day is an exciting time to be in Jerusalem celebrating Israel’s victory in 1967 when the city was liberated & reunified. It will be celebrated this year on Thursday May 18 – Friday May 19.
Parents have lots of fun ways they can prepare their kids for this momentous event. Here are some of our favorite options.
Tour of Ammunition Hill & Ropes Course
Learn about the history of the Six Day War from the trenches. Take a walking tour through Ammunition Hill and learn about the soldiers who fought there. You can also watch a movie about the battle site. When you are finished your kids can challenge their bravery and experience the Jerusalem Ropes Course with a skyswing, rock wall climbing, snappling and omega zipline.
Visit Gush Etzion
“If Jewish Jerusalem exists… it is first and foremost due to the fighters and settlers of Gush Etzion.”
Gush Etzion played a vital role in ’67 to the safety of Jerusalem. Come to the area and learn about it at the new Gush Etzion Sound & Light Experience in Kfar Etzion.
When you are there make sure to arrange a food workshop at Meshek 48, a hands on Judaica woodworking workshop at The Workshop Gush Etzion and a fascinating tour at the Zomet Experience to learn about Shabbat, Halacha & Technology. If off-road, adrenaline-pumping experiences are more your thing, than we recommend an ATV tour with Aryeh and the team at Re-Gush! Families with younger kids love the arts & crafts workshops at Creative Crafts, which has re-located to a new state-of-the-art space in Kibbutz Kfar Etzion. And, if you get peckish en-route, pop into Pat Ba’Melach dairy restaurant in Efrat for a delicious selection of mouth-watering dishes.
YOM YERUSHALAYIM EVENTS – 2023
- Annual Jerusalem Flag Parade – walk the streets of Jerusalem with thousands of marchers dancing in the street. From Gan Sacher to the Old City via King George, Agron and Mamilla. (Please note this will be on Thursday)
- White Night at Kikar Safra – Israeli musicians celebrate Jerusalem.
- Old Yishuv Court – Experience Jerusalem in one of the Old City’s most iconic museums. Activities give you a feel for the past & life in the Old City.
- Family Fun Day at the Tower of David – face painting, balloon art, “Instush Museum” and more. Plus performances by well-known and loved Israeli artists.
- Festive Jerusalem Day reception with the Mayor – and his wife Stavit, at the Tower of David.
- Safra Square Sing-A-Long – A true “only-in-Israel experience” featuring a huge selection of Israeli classic songs of Jerusalem
- EZ Raider tour with Smart Tour – scenic view of the Old City of Jerusalem, the Temple Mount, the Kotel (the Western Wall) the City of David, Mount Scopus, Hebrew University, the Mount of Olives and much more…Great activity that can include younger kids as passengers.
- Kakadu Yom Yerushalayim family workshops – choices of of Jerusalem-themed artwork to paint in their bold signature colors, to enjoy for years to come!
- A beautiful musical Shacharit – celebrate the reunification of Jerusalem, on the Armon HaNatziv Promenade with Chazzan Zemmer Heizzi Sofer. Sponsored by the Jerusalem Municipality and OU Israel.
- A special Jerusalem Day musical literary Kabbalat Shabbat, in English, at Beit Avi Chai – filled with the inspirational sounds of Shabbat and Jerusalem, with poetry, sound, study, and discussion that captures the magic of living in Jerusalem.
Do you have more events to add? Send them to us.
For a full list of activities visit our full Yom Yerushalayim events list on the calendar.