Have you wondered how a Shabbat elevator works? How a fridge can have a Shabbat mode? How the metal detectors work at the Kotel?
These questions and more can be answered at the Zomet Experience in Gush Etzion.
Zomet is the company that merges Halacha and Technology. The Zomet Experience was created to teach others how they can join in the quest to synthesize Torah and Modern Life. Zomet’s experiential visitors center lets you enter behind the scenes and understand how Zomet Institute’s Rabbis and Engineers solve techno-halachic problems enabling countless devices to be used on Shabbat.
Hear my interview with Dan Marans, the director of the Zomet Experience on BITE SIZE with Yoni Pollak.
Listen to the Interview
Here are some of the “Interview Highlights”
- Living in Israel we have a challenge that we dont have non-jews to do things for us on shabbat. Example – Doctors that need to use a cellphone on Shabbat, Shabbat elevators, metal detectors at the Kotel. Zomet researches and develops these devices that can be used according to Halacha on Shabbat.
- People can come to the center and are able to learn how these things are developed and see the devices, interact with them – investigate the issues.
- The location of the center is in Alon Shvut, Gush Etzion – just a 15 minute drive from Jerusalem.
- Great activity for the family – especially ages 6 and up.
- Tours are available in English and in Hebrew.
- All tour guides are highly knowledgeable in Halacha and Science.
- Zomet tries to focus each group on a subject that will interest them. Ex. A group of older people might be more interested in mobility with scooters, a group of children might be interested in robotics.
- Note: When booking a tour – specify the interests of the group so Zomet can create a tour that most interests your group.
- Tour guides are engineers, rabbis and technology experts. Let Zomet know who you will be bringing and what they want the discussion to focus on.
- The CTO of Samsung Phones came to visit Zomet on his 24 hour tour to Israel.
Gush Etzion Attractions: located just 15 minutes outside Jerusalem this suburb has adventure, history and art activities for the whole family.
The longest zipline in the world, Pat BaMelach – bread workshop, Paintball, Caliber 3 – Shooting Range, great hikes, ATV tours, a Winery, numerous restaurants and more. You can easily spend half to a full day in the area! Email me for more information