What does it mean when a souvenir is described as a little bit of Yiddish Chutzpah? If you are Barbara Shaw then it means that you’ve created some really unique gift items using a bit of Yiddish humor. Whether its an apron that says “Don’t tell me to keep calm, I am a Jewish Mother” or a baby onesie that says “I’m not crying…just davening” it is sure to bring a smile to faces who see it.
What inspired Barbara and how did she get involved in this exciting venture?
Meet Barbara Shaw, owner and designer of Barbara Shaw’s Gifts on Emek Refaim in Jerusalem. Recorded for BITE SIZE with Yoni Pollak.
Listen to the Interview –
Here are some of the “Interview Highlights”
- Barbara made Aliyah from Sydney Australia 32 years ago.
- While living here, she looked for unique gifts but could never find the perfect ones. So she decided to make her own!!
- Barbara’s mission is to take the idea of Judaism and Israel and translate it into colorful and sometimes witty gifts.
- All of Barbara’s gifts are made in Jerusalem.
Barbara’s Unique Gifts / Souvenirs Gift
- Yiddish Gifts – in deference to her father who spoke Yiddish, Barbara has created a whole line of gifts using Yiddish as its base/pun. Gifts that make people laugh and sometimes even make people cry! These gifts are fantastic for parents and grandparents! Barbara feels that that this line of Yiddish gifts, helps keep the language alive! One of the most popular items is the Schlep Bag!!
- Witty Gifts – Barbara uses a combination of Jewish ideas and witty thinking to create adorable and useful gifts. One of the most famous gifts is the “Don’t tell me to keep calm, I am a Jewish Mother” Apron or the “I am a woman, I am invincible, I am tired” cup. These are great gifts for someone who has everything!
- Israel Souvenirs – there are many items that have Israel themes such as Israeli foods or Israeli slang or Israel scenery or the fruits of Israel – pomegranates, Jaffa oranges. One unique Israel gift is the “Israel retro stamp collection tray” – a great gift who wants something with a historical Israeli feel.
- Aleph Bet Gifts – there is an array of colorful gifts that focus on the Hebrew letters.
- Judaica – unique gifts for Jewish homes and holidays, such as challah boards and seder plates and more…
- Housewares- including dishtowels, mugs, trivets, serving-ware, vases and more…
- Baby Gifts – adorable and unique items including onesies, bibs and more…
One of our favorite Barbara Shaw gifts is the illustrative travel journal “My Jerusalem Book”
Read more about it here.
Where can you find Barbara Shaw’s Gifts
- At her store at 26 Emek Refaim
- Her most popular gift items are available on Amazon
- Jewish Museum in New York
- On her website – http://www.barbarashawgifts.com/
What’s your favorite Barbara Shaw gift item? Leave us a message in the comments…