Did you know that the Jerusalem marathon is just two months away? Are you running for a meaningful charity? Not a runner? Don’t worry, there is something for everyone!
In this BITE SIZE interview you will hear about Team Shalva, a team of volunteers that are coming together from the US, UK, and Canada to share in what will surely be an unforgettable morning on the streets of Jerusalem!
I spoke to Fran Cohen from Montreal, who is the team captain, responsible for bringing this unique and inspirational team together. If you are going to be in the Jerusalem area, or need an excuse to plan a meaningful trip, Fran and Team Shalva have a special marathon weekend planned. Registration is still open, so don’t miss out!
Listen to the interview:
Here are some of the “Interview Highlights”
- Team Shalva was the first charity organization to run as a fundraiser in the Jerusalem marathon, 7 years ago. At the time the run was in the Givat Raam stadium and Team Shalva was the brainchild of Fran’s daughter.
- Today they have hundreds of runners on the team. Look out for their purple shirts.
- To join the team, runners need to sign up through Shalva and commit to fundraise a minimum amount.
- While members of the Shalva team need to cover their own flight expenses, they are invited to be Shalva’s guest as soon as they arrive at Ben Gurion. Pick up services will be provided as well as a whole day of touring in Jerusalem. Including a tour of Shalva’s new state of the art facility, Yad Vashem, Har Hertzl, and a pre- marathon carnival pasta party with the children of Shalva.
- The team will be staying at the Jerusalem Crown Plaza as Shalva’s guests. Team Shalva spirit will continue through Shabbat, with a special Shabbaton planned for runners. (Team members already in Jerusalem are invited to join the Shabbaton)
- Not a runner, but inspired to be a part of Team Shalva? There are 4 tracks and something for everyone, ranging from a 100 meter community “run” to a full marathon. In Jerusalem it is totally acceptable to “walk” the marathon tracks as well.
- Join over 300 students and adults that have already registered, and feel the “high that lasts a long time, from doing something inspiring and memorable.”
What else does the new Shalva center have to offer?
The new Shalva center in Bayit Vegan has wonderful ways for volunteers and families to get involved.
Book a tour for your next trip, or plan an upcoming Bar-Bat mitzvah in one of their magnificent rooms or on their new basketball court and include Shalva’s children in your simcha.
Do you love the Derech Hagefen restaurant in Beit Zayit? Plan to eat in their new branch, the Shalva cafe, soon to employ Shalva graduates.
Make sure that Shalva is on your itinerary for your next trip to Jerusalem!
Contact Shalva for more info.