Pottery painting has been a favorite activity for tourists and locals for many years. Meet Shifra, the founder of JClay and hear her story of opening up a new studio in Jerusalem and making it a unique experience. Recorded for BITE SIZE with Yoni Pollak.
Listen to the Interview –
Here are some of the “Interview Highlights”
What is JClay?
- JClay is a unique new pottery painting studio.
- It is located between Geula and the Shuk on Yosef Ben Matityahu Street.
- JClay opened its doors in November 2017.
- Lots of different groups come to JClay – children’s birthday parties, adults having a party, a mother and a child come for a special activity, couples come for a date night, work colleagues come to create a shared activity together.
About the Unique Jerusalem Ceramic Items
- What makes JClay unique is the kinds of ceramic items that one can paint. Shifra understood from the beginning that people, especially tourists, are always looking for a great activity with a Jerusalem theme while they are visiting. Shifra developed Judaica and Jerusalem pieces that can be painted – which gives people an opportunity to have a fun activity and be able to go home with a meaningful souvenir!!
- One of the most beautiful pieces is the “Jerusalem Skyline” plaque and mug. Shifra had a special interest in architecture as well as in Jerusalem. So Shifra began to gather pictures of the Old City from before 1948 – and then she created from them a sketch of the Jerusalem skyline.
- Other popular pieces are the Kever Rachel piece, washing cup, tzedaka box, mugs, pomegranates, a havdalah set.
- For the super artistic people there is a plain plate that can be decorated to the heart’s desire!
- Shifra moved to Israel about a year ago from England.
- Shifra took her experience in teaching and her love of art and created a business around it. She enjoys sharing that love with others.
- She custom makes pieces in Asia and has them shipped in.
Sat Night (in the winter only)