It is a question that tourists and locals have been asking since the 90’s…When will the YMCA Sports Complex open on King David St? Rumor has it that it has been ready to open for 3 years so what has taken so long?
Hear my interview with Rena Sared Health & Wellness Director at the Jerusalem International YMCA on BITE SIZE with Yoni Pollak. Find out what is planned for the space located underground, under the Keter David residential project. Who will be able to use it and how it will change the face of Jerusalem’s athletic world.
Listen to the interview:
Here are some of the “Interview Highlights”
- The Jerusalem International YMCA was the first pool built in Jerusalem and actually the pool where Ruvi Rivlin learned to swim!
- The Jerusalem International YMCA under the management of Amos Gil is thrilled to be opening a new complex which will be the largest underground fitness center in the Middle East!
- The building is beautifully designed using Jerusalem stone and natural light to enhance the design.
- The Sports Center will be designed and operated as a sports mall, hosting sports clubs and teams, schools, and sporting events from all over the city and beyond.
- Swim and basketball teams, dance groups and many other organizations will lease space in the YMCA sports mall.
- The complex will be open to tourists as well with an option to pay per day.
- The current YMCA Health and Wellness Center will be transferred to the new facility and will have full use of five of the ten swimming lanes, the two story fitness room, and two of the six exercise studios.
- Members will receive the same access to swimming, group exercise classes, showers, saunas, etc. with no changes in membership fees.
- Moms and dads can drop off their children at a creche and go to workout while their kids have supervised fun.
- The new center will offer more space and all new, state-of-the-art exercise equipment and facilities. In fact, the day I interviewed Rena she had just come back from Herzalia where she saw some of the most incredible equipment including spinning bikes with automated features.
- The JIY will maintain its priority of inclusivity by offering accessibility to all resident of Jerusalem. “Centered around the value of equality, we believe that our new, centrally located sports facility should not be an elitist hub, but rather a place that welcomes and caters to everyone.” –Elias Khoury, Chair of the JIY Board of Directors
- Entrance to the complex will be from Washington St. with free underground parking for members.
Sports Center at a Glance – Facts and Figures of the new YMCA Sports Center.
• 93,635 square feet spread over three levels • Indoor 10-lane swimming pool • Large Health and Wellness Center • Gymnasium • Three squash courts that can be transformed to a large multi-purpose room • Six group exercise rooms • Martial arts studio • Creche (child care) • Juice bar • Spa with six treatment rooms • Three separate lobbies for social gatherings • Sports shop selling swim suits, sports clothes and accessories • Men’s and women’s locker rooms • Rooftop plaza (designed to help cool the building as well as provide a gathering space)
There is still time to rent space if you are a sports vendor, athletic club or spa vendor.Partner with the Jerusalem International YMCA