Take a hands-on tour for families and groups as you learn all about the fascinating world of Safrut (scribal arts).
Have you ever wondered how a Torah Scroll is created? How every single letter written on the parchment is done in such a precise way? What is inside a pair of Tefillin and what does it take to create them? What is the significance of the Mezzuzah and how is it written? What does it take to be a Sofer STaM (scribe) and how is it done? What is the significance to the initials STaM?
Families will be treated to in-depth explanations and demonstrations on how Torah Scrolls, Tefillin, Mezzuzot and Megillot are created.
- Differences between Ashkenazic and Sefardic writing styles will be shown.
- Learn how the Sirtut, lines on the parchment, are made.
- See how a Sofer fashions a feather pen.
- Be part of a demonstration on how a Sofer writes on actual parchment and get a chance to try it yourself, and much more!
- The tour is ideal for adults or children above age 5, but it is especially appropriate for a Bar Mitzvah group.