Read More >
Come Visit a Unique Artisan Bread Bakery in the Heart of Gush Etzion!
Pat BaMelach (פת במלח) is a bakery that offers hand-on workshops, giving participants historical, educational, cultural and tasty bread-making activities.
Come and spend some time in our brand new, wheelchair-accessible, air-conditioned facility in pastoral Gush Etzion. The workshops are held at the bakery on Kibbutz Rosh Tzurim and led by Rabbi David Katz.
Choose from a number of different workshops:
Rolling, Shaping, Seasoning and Baking
The 1.5-hour hands-on focaccia-baking workshop uses an authentic, wood-fired brick oven as participants divide, shape, season and bake their own focaccias. Brush with olive oil and add toppings and herbs of your choice. While the focaccias are proofing (rising), learn the delicious history behind focaccias and other flatbreads.
Make and Bake
The 1.5-hour workshop has participants exploring how to roll, shape and proof dough while they make their own breads and rolls. Add your own personal touch to your breads with herbs and seeds. While the bread is baking learn the secrets behind making the perfect loaf.
Breads and Spreads
Come hungry! A one-hour workshop offers a sourdough bread tasting where participants learn the difference between different types of breads made from various wheats and grains. Breads are dipped in olive oils and other delicious spreads from around the Israeli countryside.
A 1.5-hour workshop where guests shape, boil, salt and bake delicious sourdough pretzels. This is a wonderfully family-friendly activity.
Sourdough Crash Course
For bread lovers, spend an afternoon at the bakery exploring sourdough. A 3.5-hour workshop delves into the world of sourdough starters, shaping and different types of sourdoughs. Participants mix, fold, shape, slash and bake their own sourdough loaf. While the dough is fermenting and developing, a professional baker leads informative discussions about grains, nutrition, gluten development, digestion and more. Each participant leaves the bakery with the loaf they baked that day along with some recipes and some of our own signature sourdough starter.
Participants can explore:
• The History of Bread in Tanach (the Bible) and Halacha
• Birkat HaMazon (a great session for Bar and Bat Mitzvah children!)
• The Grain Cycle and Jewish Holidays in Israel
• From Harvest to Sacrifice: How Grains and Breads were used in the Times of the Beit HaMikdash
Optional additions include (contact the bakery directly for price options):
• Creative Programming: Pre-event learning with a Bar or Bat Mitzvah child to present one of the above topics.
• The Sweetest Workshop: During honey season, extract honey from honeycombs while exploring the role sweetness plays in Judaism.
• L’Chaim Workshop: Make your own apple cider as a tasty treat with your homemade focaccias and breads.
• Build your own program. We’re happy to create an individualized program for you and your group at our bakery.
• Full breakfast or lunch available (price depends on menu and quantity).
• Gluten-free or non-wheat flour options available.
All workshops require advanced bookings. Contact David at 02-502-0262Reserve Your Workshop
NEW!!! Pat Bamelach Cafe in Efrat – has a cool vibe and a unique menu with yummy salads, soups and sandwiches. It also has a yummy children’s menu. The cafe is under the hechsher of Mehadrin Efrat.
Cost is based on length of workshop and number of people.
Contact David for pricing
Read More >
Read More >
Read More >