Are you planning a trip to Israel? Whether it is your first trip or your fiftieth, hiring the right tour guide is a great way to ensure lasting memories and fun.
Tour guides literally bring Israel alive!
We once visited kibbutz Tirat Tzvi and I thought all we would be seeing was a hot dog factory. I was surprised when our exceptional guide took us to ancient ruins in Beit She’an and a waterfall, where interesting species of birds flocked. But what made the biggest impression was his recounting his experience as a child in kindergarten during the War of Independence. He remembered hiding under a desk while his kibbutz was under attack. It was such a vivid way to experience the kibbutz and its history and was one of our most meaningful trips, all because of our tour guide.
There are many ways to choose a tour guide but the first thing you have to know is that the guide must be accredited by the Israel Ministry of Tourism. That means he/she has a card with this logo
5 More Tips:
1. Communicate your needs (sounds like a relationship, right?) Well you are about to share a lot of time with this person and this person will be preparing a lot of information for you.
What if Yosef wants to hear about the War of Independence but the tour guide thought he had already heard it all and prepared two hours on the birds and flowers of Jerusalem. Very nice, but Yosef is not a happy camper.
You don’t have to tell them EVERYTHING, but you get the idea.
2. Talk frankly about your interests and what type of focus you want your tour to take. For example, Nikki Strassman Family Tours will provide engaging, drama oriented tours that appeal to and engage school-age children and she also specializes in tours for adults with a legal angle. We also recommend Tzofia Tours who are excellent at bringing Biblical stories into their tours for adults and children.
3. Choose by recommendation. Choosing a guide through a personal recommendation or from the Fun In Jerusalem Family Tour Guide Directory is your best option. These guides have been “kid tested…mother approved.”
4. Pamper yourself…It's worth it. Why not have a company plan your whole vacation itinerary? No thinking involved. Sit back, relax and let Protexia Plus do all the work. With Protexia planning your tours, travel arrangements and guides, all you have to remember is where they serve breakfast.
5. Try off the beaten track. You’ve done history tours many times. And although someone like me could forever be interested in that sort of thing, we are not all alike. Sometimes we have more adventurous people in our group. For them, there are companies that will incorporate adventure and hands-on experiences in your tour. Challenge Tours arranges rappelling, jeep tours, basically adventure-y stuff.
Enjoy your next trip!
Check out our Fun in Jerusalem specials and offers.
Jerusalem Restaurant Coupons
Great resources for Bar/Bat Mitzvas in Jerusalem and Birthday Parties.